Friday, March 17, 2023

The Transfer of Education Benefit Process

A Transfer of Education Benefit (TEB) request is an incentive for continued service offered to Service Members who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


  1. Must be eligible for Post 9/11 Chapter 33. If you are not sure of your eligibility, you can contact us to find out or see the attached flyer.
  2. Be currently serving and have more than 6 years of total service completed.
  3. You must not be flagged for adverse action, ACFT/ABCP failure, or as an unsatisfactory participant.
  4. You must agree to a 4-year service obligation. This obligation runs concurrent with your contract. If you have more than 4 years remaining before you ETS/MRD/RET/MSO you will not need to extend, but if you have less than 4 years remaining on the day you apply, you will have to extend.
  • When your request to transfer is approved, you will incur an Obligation End Date (OED).  
  • This OED must be monitored. You cannot voluntarily leave the military service before that date! If you do, the transfer is revoked for your dependents and any funds paid to them will be recouped by the Department of Veterans Affairs.


You can transfer education benefits to children ages 21 and 22 only if they are dependent students. The student status determination must be made at a military ID card issuing facility.

  • Dependent students are full-time students who are dependent on you for more than 50% of their support. Full-time student status cannot be determined more than 90 days prior to your child's twenty-first birthday. If student status is not determined in time, all DoD benefits will be terminated in DEERS. Therefore, you will not be able to request a transfer of education benefits on the TEB page. However, student status determination can be added after benefits are terminated in DEERS, which triggers eligibility on the TEB page.
  • Children who are dependent students past the age of 22 with transfer months assigned are still displayed as eligible, because they can continue to use their already transferred benefit up until 26 years of age. However, students over the age of 22 are no longer eligible to receive additional transferred benefits.  In addition to benefit months, your children are eligible for a monthly living stipend and a books and supplies stipend whether you are serving on Active Duty or not.
  • If your children are not 18 but have attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), they can use the transferred benefits. This includes some vocational or technical training programs, graduate and undergraduate training, as well as on-the-job training, apprenticeships, or non-college degree programs.


  • IMPORTANT! You must be currently serving to designate months of benefit to a "new" dependent.
  • You will need a DS LOG-ON to enter the site when you separate. Please create one!


  • Contact the VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 to determine the number of months of benefits you have remaining.
  • If you have less than four years of service remaining, complete extension.
  • Go and complete your TEB application. Please make sure your contact information is correct on DMDC.
  • Access your Military email and follow email instructions.
  • When ready to attend school, your approved dependent(s) apply at: to receive their approval letter or Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The student will give this letter to the VA Certifying Official at the school. The student will need to certify enrollment each month via text message, email or calling, 1-888-GIBILL1 or (1-888-442-4551). 

 09. GI Bill Ch33-20220930.pdf


Post a Comment